About Family Life Ministries Jamaica
Welcome to Family Life Ministries, a non profit organization
Family Life Ministries is a non-denominational, Bible-based organization with the purpose of developing and providing a range of ministries related to all aspects of family life. We are a non-profit, non-shareholding organization which was established in 1982 out of the recognition that the deterioration of family life was an area in urgent need of redress.
The ministry shares growing awareness and concern with churches and other organizations that the quality of family life in the nation of Jamaica has been declining. This worsening is evident despite the efforts made by some individuals and organizations to address the concerns and needs of families. Family Life Ministries has set its sights on tackling these problems.
Our goal is, therefore, the improvement and development of family life and interpersonal relationships. The ministry seeks to involve as many Christian families as possible to work towards the same goal, and endeavours to influence the whole society through the practice and teaching of biblical principles. We believe that completion of this goal will lead not only to better family life, but also a better Jamaica.
“To encourage and actively promote healthy family life in accordance with the principles of the Bible, God’s Word, in Jamaica, the wider Caribbean and elsewhere.”
This is a clear statement of our intention for our local Jamaican family, and also the Caribbean family as a whole. We are therefore committed to the reformation of the Jamaican and Caribbean family as God has lain on our hearts. We hope that the implementation of our actions will aid in the rebuilding of the precious familial bond.
Goals and Objectives
Our express purpose is strengthening and actively promoting healthy family life in Jamaica and the wider Caribbean, and our programmes are grounded in the Judeo-Christian value system. The FLM resource team is comprised of persons with formal professional training in counselling, education and medicine.
Family Life Ministries (FLM) came into being because of our founders’ strong concern about the apparent deterioration in the quality of family life in Jamaica in the early eighties. Since then, the organization has provided professional counselling to thousands of Jamaicans from all walks of life. Our jurisdiction has included economically challenged communities, schools, churches and other community-based organisations throughout the island.
In addition to its flagship counselling programme, FLM has pioneered radio talk shows on family life in Jamaica and elsewhere in the Caribbean via Radio Jamaica, Love FM, KLAS FM and Trans World Radio (Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles). FLM has also participated in television An FLM speakers’ bureau has provided speakers for churches, parent-teacher associations and business firms. The organization has also run camps, conferences, workshops and seminars for single adults, married couples and the general public focusing on the theme of healthy family life in Jamaica, the wider Caribbean, Central and North America.
- To improve and develop our own family relationships.
- To serve the church by offering systematic instruction and training in matters relating to family life.
- To assist individual churches to develop and improve their family life programmes with an emphasis on the preventative, rather than the remedial, by helping leaders become proactive agents for marital and family health.
- To be aware of, have dialogue with, and where possible, cooperate with other organizations involved in family life work.
- To enter into partnership, where appropriate, with other organizations involved in family life work.
- To influence policies affecting family life at the community and national levels.
- To educate the public in biblical principles of family life in the context of local culture.
- To create referral centres and be a resource in matters relating to family life.
- To provide counselling service for the general public.
Family Life Ministries is a non-denominational, non-profit, non-shareholding organization which was established in 1982, out of concern for the continued deterioration of family life in our nation despite the efforts that have been made to counter it. The ministry recognizes the urgent need to redress this decline – an opinion shared by churches and other organizations – and has made its major goal the improvement and development of family life and interpersonal relationships. FLM seeks to involve as many Christian families as possible to work towards this same goal, and to influence the whole society through the practice and teaching of Biblical principles.
If you would like to find out more about out history, click here
Statement of Faith
Family Life Ministries believes:-
- That there is one God, eternally existing in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- That the Bible is the inspired, only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, his Virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious atonement through His shed Blood, in His bodily Resurrection, in his ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal visible return in power and Glory.
- That man was created in the image of God, tempted by Satan and fell, and because of the exceeding sinfulness of Human nature, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary for salvation.
- In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life, and by whom the church is empowered to carry out Christ’s Great Commission.
- In the bodily resurrection of both the saved and the lost, those who are saved unto the resurrection of life, and those who are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
Family Life Ministries is financed by the gifts of individuals and organizations, and fees from services offered to clients. The ministry encourages those who are concerned about the growing deterioration of family life in our society to pledge a contribution in support of FLM. Contributions qualify for tax exemption in accordance with Section 13 (1) Q of the Income Tax Act. Our financial affairs are subject to annual external audits, and our auditors are Daly, Garrick, Daly.
In Jamaica, contributors may:
- Make checks payable to Family Life Ministries, and mail to our Head Office at 1 Cecelio Ave, Kingston 10.
- Visit any Victoria Mutual Building Society branch, and deposit to VMBS account # 21452206.
In the US and UK, contributors may:
- Send check or money order to VMBS for Family Life Ministries, 8-10 Duke St, Kingston OR to a lockbox at P.O. Box 7247-8801, Philadelphia, PA 19170-8801.
- With a credit card or checking account, visit www.xoom.com, select Jamaica as the country, and after creating an account, send donations to VMBS account # 21452206.